A very useful directory to bird-orientated accommodations, tour operators, guides, pelagic trips, bird clubs and other reference information.
Other North Queensland Birdwatching Tours
* Daintree Boatman Nature Tours (formerly Chris Dahlberg’s River Tours)Murray Hunt is a professional bird guide who operates dawn bird-watching cruises on the Daintree River. Specialities include Great-billed Heron, Little Kingfisher, Black Bittern, and Papuan Frogmouth. Use of a small open vessel provides good views of birds and wildlife.
* Fine Feather Tours
Del and Pat Richards are based in Mossman, North Queensland, between Port Douglas and the Daintree River. Their tours, which operate daily, visit up to eight different habitats.
North Queensland Bird-orientated Accommodation
* Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
Offers self-contained units and bunkhouse accommodation in a rainforest setting close to Mt Lewis, which is famous for highland rainforest birds like Golden Bowerbirds and Blue-faced Finches. The park itself also offers lots of birds, including Red-necked Crake and in summer, Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers.
* Atherton Tablelands Holiday Guide – Holiday and Information Network
* Red Mill House – Daintree Village
Long established Daintree birdwatching accommodation. Red Mill House in Daintree Village is owned and operated by two enthusiastic birdwatchers with good local birding knowledge. Deluxe, air-conditioned accommodation renowned for it’s cooked breakfasts and excellent service. Easy access to Daintree River and a short drive to the Daintree National Park. Excellent birdwatching opportunities, either escorted or independent, in a well known birding area.
* The Canopy Tree Houses
A private wildlife sanctuary of 100 acres of ancient rainforest. With a conservation status of Endangered, this Complex mesophyll vine forest – type 1B with 2 kms of river frontage, is an established habitat for numerous rare and threatened species including the Cassowary and Lumholtz’s Tree Kangaroo, Green Ringtail Possum. Only 90 minutes from Cairns, on the Atherton Tablelands.
Accommodation is provided in self-contained luxury pole houses with double spas, overlooking the Ithaca River, and one can enjoy close encounters with the likes of Victoria’s Rifle Birds, Macleay’s Honeyeater, King Parrots, Emerald Doves, then of course look a bit deeper and see Tooth-billed Bowerbird, Atherton Scrubwren and Lesser Sooty Owl, to name but a few. Walking trails and Fauna list compliment the experience.
A comfortable luxury vehicle is available for tours and transfers. Professionally guided spotlighting tours, or free platypus spotting tours are available. Assisted Wheelchair access in one Rainforest Cottage. Advanced Ecotourism Accreditation.
Hosts: Sandra & Harry Walker
Address: Hogan Rd, Tarzali (near Malanda) Qld
Phone: 61 7 4096 5364
Fax: 61 7 4096 5380
Other Australian Birdwatching Related Sites
* Graeme Chapman’s Web site, one of Australia’s best bird photographers!
* John Young Wildlife Enterprises
* Little Desert Nature Lodge & Tours near Nhill, Vic
* David Stewart’s Nature Sound Wildlife CDs and Cassettes
David Stewart has a large collection of Australian Wildlife sounds, mainly calls of birds and frogs. His commercial productions include a CD of Subtropical Rainforest sounds with animals indexed, 2 CDs of frog calls, 3 cassettes of bird calls and 3 cassettes of frog calls.
* Lloyd Nielsen’s Birding Australia
Lloyd Nielsen, a Life Member of Birds Australia, offers his unique directory Birding Australia (published annually in two editions ~ one for international birders visiting Australia, the other for Australians birding at home), as well as carefully selected, competitively priced bird song CDs, national and regional field and site guides and other products designed for birders. Download an Australian Checklist.
* ‘Destination Management’ – International Nature and Birdwatching Tours
* Eyre Bird Observatory
* Birding South West – Peter Taylor runs day tours from Pemberton, Manjimup & Bridgetown as well as fully accommodated tours throughout the South West of Australia.
International Birdwatching Related Sites
* Handbook of the Birds of the World
* Birdnet.de – die deutsche Plattform für Birder und Ornithologen – mindestens tagesaktuell…
* Vogelruf (in German / in Deutsch)
* birding.com – Birds & bird related topics of North America
* Boute Expeditions – Birdwatching, Natural History Tours & Photo Safaris
* Aviscience – a scientific source for birders and ornithologists around the globe
* Travellingbirder.com – Internet portal to bird travel and birding trip reports
* Dean Birders
* Guided Birdwatching Index to find all the birding guides in the world, professional or amateur.
* Hummingbird Gardens – Herbs and Flowers for Hummingbirds.